Räisälkä is a traditional lakeside village with a rural landscape. The area is dominated by mountain landscapes, the largest of which is Suomutunturi, over four hundred metres high.

The first permanent residents of the old Lappish field in Lappiranta were found around 1670. The boat has been a means of transport for water travellers since time immemorial, the four-penny rowing distance from Räisälä to Kemijärvi was covered in a day. In addition, a passenger boat once operated to Räisälkä. In winter, horse-drawn sleighs used to run on the lake’s ice.

Today, the only ferry in Lapland operates between Räisälä Lappiniemi and Haparanda, and in winter there is an ice road across the strait. The shortest route to Kemijärvi is along a beautiful scenic road through the village of Soppela or the longer route through the village of Joutsijärvi.

The current Suomulinna youth clubhouse was built in 1960 and has been maintained through voluntary work and project funding. The parish of Kemijärvi has a chapel in Räisälä. The Räisälä cemetery is on the local side of Haparanda.


The Tonkopuro area is a landscape of rolling hills and streams. The settlement of 16 farms in Tonkopuro received its stoves in 1939. The village centre is located on the E63 road.

The population of the village grew and the residents were active in organising sports competitions, courses and events. The strong migration at the turn of the 1970s took a heavy toll on the population of Tonkopuro.

In the Tonkopuro area is the Riutukka cabin, where you can learn about the old creek bed tradition. The museum was restored by the National Board of Antiquities in the 1990s. The area is now owned by Salla Joint Forestry.

The former Tonkopuro Health Centre, in the grounds of the old primary school, is still a popular café and eatery, with a tasty catering service. Find out more about the history of the villages Suomuvuoma Finns, Räisälän- Tonkopuro village history book.